I've Been...Tied Up



Where has the time gone? It's been 3 months since my last post. It's not that I haven't had anything to say, ideas to share, or a plethora of pre-planned posts. I just couldn't motivate myself to do it. Maybe I needed a break, and some time to think about how I want to approach blogging in 2012, the changes I want to make, and what I hope to accomplish. So I'm dipping my toes in the shallow end, until I'm ready to cannonball into the deep. In the meantime, I've got an early case of spring fever.
Can you say "espalier"?











Back in October, I ran a post featuring my friend Jeanne's freshly painted, 
Dorothy Draper-esque front doors.





Notice the side walls of her entrance garden? They would be perfect for espaliered trees or vines.


















     This ancient form of gardening has been an inspiration to artisans and designers alike.















Spring really is right around the corner (8 weeks). Time to starting thinking about getting "tied up" with something.



k

Comments

  1. I'm always amazed to see how short winter really is because even if it is still cold little buds venture out as early as the end of January. What beautiful images! Do you know who the china is by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. g...I know, LOVE the china! It's by Pickard and I believe that it was designed by the venerable Chalotte Moss. Thanks for your comment...k

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    Nice to see another wonderful installment from Princess Anne County. The pairing of the Charles and Ray Eames photo with espalier is very smart. I love a good espalier and would love to have one but I wonder if they're tough to maintain. They sure are pretty to look at.

    Hope to see more from you soon!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, good to be back. I am going to take this weekend to pour over all of your (and my other top bloggers) posts that I have missed..really looking forward to it.
      As far as maintenance goes, it really isn't that hard since you are usually dealing with slow growth. I have two espaliered hydrangea vines. one is over 20 feet tall and just as wide (I'll post a pic this Spring when it's in full bloom).....it's very similar to the one in the last pic (taken at Princeton where they are reported to have over 100 large espaliered trees and vines. k
      p.s......great in pots too

      Delete
  3. Missed you, glad you are back!

    Shea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shades of very good learning in the last photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly....Princeton is known, landscape-wise, as being on the "cutting edge" of espaliered trees and vines. They have over 100 large specimens.....thanks for commenting...k

      Delete
  5. I was just about to write you to see what in the hell was going on, being the busy body that I am. Thank goodness everything is ok. We's ah so glad use is bone gain, Sista!
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Love the espalier photo essay. I always admire this technique for sure, when visiting the gardens at Mount Vernon.

    best, teaorwine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, a friend of mine is renting a house with gorgeous espaliered fruit trees all along her walls. She's not much a gardener and is not looking after them, which kills me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thank you for taking the time to do so. Unfortunately, I have been getting bulk spam, so I have enabled word verification (temporarily I hope) to try and put a stop to it. Thank you for understanding! k

Popular Posts