"Patience, Affection"...




...Paul Newman, on the secret to a lasting marriage.





This is my all-time favorite couple. Married for 50 years, Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman epitomized a successful marriage.





At the time of his death in 2008, the Newmans had lived in the same 18th century Connecticut  farmhouse for 48 years.








Woodward believed that this helped to solidify their marriage. "We were never Hollywood people," she told the Daily News in 2001. "we just like it better here. It also probably helps that we always enjoyed each others company."









I like how normal they seemed...









They just happened to be major movie stars...






Below is a clip from "The Long Hot Summer", a film that I never tire of. I own it and watch it several times a year. Joanne and Paul were married just months after production was completed.
The electricity between them was palpable.






Their take on longevity..."correct amounts of lust and respect".


Comments

  1. What a marvelous valentine - and what a great movie! They were an enviable couple - they lived not far from me and everyone I've ever met who knew them (as a couple) has had only admirable words for them and their work in and for their community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. * That was beautiful ~ an honest portrayal of a couple totally devoted to each other... makes my heart warm, and I thank you... (Like sooooo many, I ADOOOOORED him!!!)...

    Thanks again,
    Linda in AZ *

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rare great American couple!!!! Fantastic! Happy Valentines Day!!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous post for Valentine's Day...I have never seen the long hot summer...must netflix it immediately now!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved his quote,"I have steak at home. Why should I go out for hamburger?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Valentine's Day!
    Xo,
    E&J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post for Valentine's Day! Beautiful couple...Gosh he looked hot when he was younger...:)

    Make sure to stop by me soon, having my first Give-Away on my blog, open to all!

    Ingrid :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy,
    I love coming here ... The pictures posted are amazing ... They take us into the world of fantasy and love ...
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiration to us all. They are the ultimate couple!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. your post is my fav Valentine's post! great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is THE BEST and sweetest VDAY post.
    they were truly amazing how they survived as a couple the loss of their son.

    xx

    ps
    i really dig your new look over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. forgot to comment! i've never seen this film (that i can remember), and will correct this oversight sometime this upcoming summer. great post, K!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the secret to a long marriage is, don't live in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am your newest follower
    Love your blog
    xo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy,
    have a wonderful weekend!
    You are too kind!! affectionate kiss from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOOOVE this post!
    You´ve made my day today!
    greetings from germany, geisslein

    ReplyDelete
  17. A happy guy's a handsomer guy. She made him look better than he ever did; and for the rest of us, her work was absolutely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post... they were stunning together. Auras connected through + through! Lovely post ; )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thank you for taking the time to do so. Unfortunately, I have been getting bulk spam, so I have enabled word verification (temporarily I hope) to try and put a stop to it. Thank you for understanding! k

Popular Posts